The discovery of Sardines dates back to time immemorial. It is known that later Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte popularized it by initiating the canning of sardines.
I take this privilege to share with you the facts related to Sardines.
Sardines were named after Sardinia, the Italian island where large blocks of the fish were once found.
Sardines, a wonder fish is not so long in size but in age. Their life span is as long as 14 years and average up to 6 years. They may grow up to the length of 1.3 feet. Sardines are found to spawn multiple times per season from six to 40 times in a year. Though there are six main types of species of Sardines belonging to Clupeidae family, there are more than 20 varieties of the fish sold as sardines around the globe. Sardines feed on plankton, which are tiny floating plants and animals. They are pelagic schooling fish having blue-green color on the back and white flanks with 1to3 series of dark spots along the middle.
Here I place before you the 30 benefits of Sardines.
1. Sardines are small, and easy to cook and eat. This makes them an easy purchase product from grocery stores.
2. Sardines due to their small size can be cooked and canned easily.
3. Sardines when packed with tomato sauce provide a quick easy meal.
4. Sardines have a good storage life. They can be stores for two months or more in deep freezer.
5. Sardines when canned require minimal preparation before their consumption. They can be eaten as sandwiches.
6. Sardines are a rich source of vitamin D, which is very essential to absorb calcium and thus provide stronger bone growth. Vitamin D helps in maintaining blood Calcium. It also helps in normal development.
7. Sardines work as a fat burning stimulant.
8. Sardines contain vitamin B12 (cobalmin), which is needed for a healthy nervous system and boosting energy levels, and for the production of healthy blood cells.
9. Vitamin B12 in Sardines also works to keep the level of homocysteine which can damage the artery walls.
10. Sardines are also rich in phosphorus mineral. Phosphorus helps in proper kidney function, healthy teeth and bone formation.
11. Sardines are low in calories and thus are used in weight control programs.
12. Sardines contain omega 3 fatty acids which also boosts metabolic rate which works towards losing weight.
13. Sardines are high in protein and zero in carbohydrates. The protein provides nutrition for the growth of the body.
14. Sardines give healthy joints thus assisting in prevention of osteoporosis.
15. Sardines provide healthy skin as it contains fat soluble vitamin A. The presence of vitamin A gives health to hair and also works as an antioxidant.
16. Sardines enhance memory since they contain omega-3 acids.
17. Sardines have vitamin A which is good for the retina of the eye and thus providing health to the eyes.
18. Sardines have less possibility of accumulating toxins like mercury, dioxane due to their smaller size.
19. Sardines contain high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, which help in preventing dangerous heart rhythm abnormalities by reducing the triglyceride levels in the blood.
20. Sardines omega-3 fatty acids work as anti-inflammatory agents in the body.
21. Sardines are a good source of selenium mineral which is a good antioxidant and protects from cancer.
22. Sardines are a good source of Niacin (vitamin B3) which helps in bringing down the level of unhealthy cholesterol.
23. Sardines provide good Calcium needed for healthy bones. It also assist with wound healing, muscle and nerve function.
24. Sardines contain Tryptophan, which regulates the appetite, induces good sleep and elevates your mood.
25. Sardines can be eaten dried, simmered with soysauce, Tenpura or Sashimi or even grilled.
26. Sardines can be eaten as a salad, in a sandwich spread, on pasta, or even straight out of the can.
27. Sardines have provided employment to many across the globe due to its ever increasing demand.
28. Sardines omega-3 acids work towards reducing menopausal symptoms like mood swings and hot flashes.
29. Sardines contain DHA omega -3 which is a great support for the healthy development of the baby’s brain.
30. Sardines contain good amount of phosphorus which is also helpful in reducing sexual weakness.
It is advisable that individuals suffering from kidney stone and gout should avoid taking sardines due to the presence of purines (which produce uric acid), till they experience complete healing.
You can imagine the Great Emperor Napoleon taking efforts to promote the eating of Sardines. No wonder his army was stronger than other armies and kept moving from victories to victories.
The 20th century till the present has shown the wonderful benefits of Sardines. There is no advertisement any further needed to experience the benefits of Sardines. They are much in demand. I hope the reading motivates you to go and grab a can of Sardines enjoying the benefits given in them through the Mother Nature. Let us enjoy Sardines.
About the author: Emerson Noble Scott is a graduate in Science and in Theology. He is an educationist, counselor, writer, and social worker. He also enjoys photography, bird watching, cycling, traveling, gardening, playing games (indoor and outdoor), listening to people and making friends. A family oriented person, practices contemplation, believes in being creative and takes life as a gift from Almighty.