In today’s day and time, the motto to live is ‘Go Green’. This is the reason why, I, Akshaya Kawle hereby present to you, my article on the benefits of Guava.
24 hours in a day are no more enough to finish ones work. The days are seemingly shorter, with less time to eat or drink. At such times, it becomes necessary to have a diet, which provides you all the required nutrients, as well as does not take too much of your precious time.
Guava is one such miracle to mankind. Not only is it packed with a lot of benefits, but is also convenient to carry, and makes for a tasty snack. It is yet another gift of the tropical region. Guava is not only rejoiced by humans, but also by various animals and birds on account of its high nutritional value.
There are different-colored guavas in different parts of the world. In South Africa, the fruit of the guava is dusky-pink; in Israel, the guavas are a pale yellow, while in India, and most other countries it is green. Therefore, the most common colour is green. However the difference in the colour does not lead to differences in the benefits it offers.
Since early times, Guava fruit, trees, its roots, and leaves have been used for medicinal purposes. Therefore one can see that the benefits of guava does not only restrict to the fresh fruit, but also to its trees. It is one such fruit which enriches your life with various benefits, leading to a healthier lifestyle. It is a rich source of iron, potassium, other minerals and vitamins and the richest source of Vitamin C
Some of the benefits offered by the fruit are:
1. Helps in reducing cholesterol levels: Studies have shown that regular consumption of guava fruit leads to reduced cholesterol levels in the blood. This results in good health for your heart. The reduced cholesterol levels are a result of the high content of pectin in the fruit. Pectin is a soluble fiber that reduces the levels of bad cholesterol in the blood.
2. Strengthens our immune system: Regular intake of guava fruit may help in reducing the risks of various immunodeficiency diseases, which involves malfunction of the immune system, making our body less resistant to the various diseases and infections. So grab some fresh guavas to make your immune system stronger!
3. Helps in protection from cancer: Guavas contain certain antioxidants which protects us from various diseases, including cancer. One such antioxidant, known as Lypocene, is the major protective shield against the risks of cancer. Guavas are known to have properties to protect prostrates as well.
4. Helps cure dysentery and diarrhea: Guavas are rich in astringents which are alkaline in nature. Thus they help in cleaning the extra mucus from the intestines, curing dysentery. Astringents also help in binding up loose bowels in diarrhea. This is considered as one of the main benefits of guavas. Infants as young as 2 years of age are given the fruit or the juice as a cure for diarrhea. It is also beneficial for gastroenteritis.
5. Strengthens the digestive system: Guavas can help us in strengthening our digestive system and also toning and disinfecting it.
6. Provides for healthier gums: The astringents in guava also result in healthier gums. Therefore, after chewing on a guava, your gums feel tighter and fresh.
7. Helps cure toothache: Guavas are great for dental care. Consuming the fruit regularly can prevent toothache. For people suffering from toothache, it can help cure it. Guavas are therefore used in toothpaste for effective and complete dental care.
8. Guavas are a good source of iron: the iron content in guava helps in the treatment of patients suffering from anemia.
9. An above average antioxidant: Guavas are one of the best sources of antioxidants. Eating guavas regularly can stand as a preventive measure against various diseases, due to these antioxidants, like Alzheimer’s disease, along with other age related chronic diseases.
10. Supports Heart: Guavas are a great source of potassium, along with other minerals. It provides up to 417 mg of potassium every 100 grams. Potassium reduces the risks of heart strokes, and calls for a healthy heart regime.
11. Controls blood pressure: The potassium content in guavas also help in controlling the blood pressure levels, which results in good health for your heart as well.
12. Reduces anxiety and stress: Consuming the fruit regularly can help in reduction of anxiety and stress. This is because of the high potassium content in the fruit.
13. Promotes a stronger nervous system: Studies have shown that people, who eat guavas regularly, are prone to have a stronger nervous system, as compared to those who do not consume the fruit. This is a result of the various minerals content in the fruit, potassium being one of the important ones.
14. Is a great source of Vitamin A: Guava is high on vitamin A content, which makes it have anti fungal, and anti bacterial properties. It helps kill yeast and amoebas, and fight free radicals in our body, which are the root cause of many fatal diseases.
15. Promotes healthy vision: Guavas are a source of vitamin A to our body. It therefore promotes healthy eyes and vision. It aids in protecting our eyes from infections and diseases like cataract.
16. Helps in deworming our body: Guava is known to have certain detoxifying properties, which help in deworming our body.
17. Reduces spasm: The fruit contains quercetin which has anti spasm properties. These properties help in relieving pain, especially in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
18. Is beneficial for the treatment of constipation: Guava, along with their seeds, provides roughage to the diet and provides for the normal evacuation of bowels.
19. Helps prevent and control diabetes: Regular consumption of guava leads to effective lowering of blood sugar levels. This results in preventing and controlling diabetes. Diabetic patients should include at least 2 to 3 guavas in their regular diet.
20. Excellent diet food: There are only 60 calories present per fresh guava. This makes it an excellent diet food with very low calories.
21. Helps in healing wounds: Guava juice, if applied externally, is an excellent remedy for healing external wounds.
22. Scurvy treatment: Guavas are very high in vitamin C content, almost 5 times higher than oranges and other citrus fruits. Vitamin C deficiency is the main cause of scurvy. Thus consumption of the fruit helps in the prevention and treatment of scurvy.
23. Stronger muscles and bones: Vitamin C in the fruit is responsible in the formation of collagen present in our bones and muscles. Collagen holds our cells together, resulting in healthier bones and muscles.
24. Instant energizer: Vitamin C helps in the absorption of iron and other essential elements in our body instantly, making us more energetic and revitalizing us.
25. Is used for the treatment of cold and cough: The vitamin C and iron content in guavas are a preventive measure against cold and viral infections. The astringents in guava help in clearing the respiratory tract, throat and lungs, and also relieves from cold and cough by loosening the cough and reducing the mucus.
26. Helps stop bleeding: Guavas have haemostatic properties, which help in stopping the process of bleeding. It helps keep the blood within the damaged blood vessels. The fruit is therefore used in treating bleeding gums, nose etc.
27. Treatment of oral ulcers: Consumption of the fruit can also help in the treatment of oral ulcers.
28. Helps prevent and control Asthma: Many studies have shown that eating guavas regularly can help in preventing asthma. Guavas also prove beneficial for people suffering from asthma, effectively reducing it.
29. Helps improving fertility and treating male infertility: Guavas supply a good amount of folate to our body, which is known for its fertility promoting properties. The vitamin C in guavas helps in the treatment of male infertility. The vitamin C helps reducing sperm clumping, adhesion and other abnormalities.
30. Helps in weight reduction: Guavas are known to have certain qualities which help in the faster metabolism. This results in weight loss.
31. Keeps the thyroid gland healthy: Guavas supply copper to our body which is good for the thyroid gland. Copper improves the thyroid metabolism, especially in hormone production and absorption.
32. Good source of magnesium: Guavas are a good source of magnesium to our body. Magnesium plays an important role in relaxing our nerves and muscles. It also helps our body utilize some very important nutrients such as biotin, thiamine and ascorbic acid.
33. Is rich in B group of vitamins: The B group of vitamins such as vitamin B3 promotes blood flow. Vitamin B6 is an important nutrient for brain and nerve function. Both these vitamins are present in guavas.
34. Anti inflammatory: Since guavas are high on vitamin C content, they possess anti inflammatory properties, reducing soreness and swelling.
35. Helps fight epilepsy: Epilepsy is a brain disorder that causes people to have recurring seizures. Guavas prove to be a blessing for people suffering from epilepsy, as it is effective in preventing and controlling it.
36. Helps prevent prolonged menstruation: A lot of women face the problem of prolonged menstruation. Eating guavas regularly help prevent such conditions. In cases where women are already facing this problem, consuming guavas can effectively control it.
37. Helps fight mouth odour: A lot of people have bad breath problem even after brushing teeth as prescribed twice a day. This is because of liver malfunction. Eating guavas regularly can help resolve this problem as it helps in treating the lever malfunction.
38. Anti aging properties: The astringents in guavas can help in keeping our skin looking younger. It keeps our skin from wrinkles and aging. Along with skin, it also keeps us protected from other aging related chronic diseases as mentioned earlier.
39. Promotes healthy skin: Guavas are the best way to get healthy skin. No cosmetic can be at par with the benefits guava can give to our skin. The astringents in the fruit acts as a toner, making skin firm, soft, and supple. It helps improve the skin texture and avoids skin problems, and disorders. The fruit being rich in Vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium, it acts as a very good anti oxidant and detoxifier, keeping our skin healthy and glowing.
40. And finally, guavas make for a great snack. Not only do they provide numerous benefits to our health, and add on to our beauty, they also satisfy our taste buds!
Guava is known as a Super Fruit. And now you get no points for guessing why! It is like a superhero, a simpleton at the first look, but fully loaded when it comes to all the benefits it has to offer us. But one has to remember, that to reap all the benefits the fruit has to offer us, it needs to be consumed ALONG WITH THE SEEDS!
The best part about it is that, as compared to the other fruits, it is really affordable in most parts of the world. That’s the reason why it is very correctly called as the ‘Poor man’s apple.’
But one dare not go on that quote in terms of the benefits it offers, as guavas are at par with any other fruit in terms of its nutrient value. It, in fact, outruns most of the other fruits!
So next time, make sure you load your shopping bag with this super fruit, in turn loading yourself and your family with loads of goodness, health and beauty.
And do not forget to ‘Go Green!’
Authors Brief Bio: Akshaya Kawle is a Bachelor of Arts with Political Science Majors, is currently pursuing her MBA (HR), and is a professional swimmer, and dancer. A keen learner, she is also pursuing a course on Counseling and Graphology. When not working on her various hobbies like driving, interacting with people, and spending time with family and her pets, she volunteers for an NGO for stray animals.