When I started writing this article I was very excited to know the benefits of the fruits, so I started to find its history & I got something to share with you’ll.
Along with this I also found many benefits that I would like to share with you with the help of which you can cure all your regular problems & you don’t have to be dependent on your physician for any regular treatment. Also this is a fruit with lowest side effects & highest capabilities to eradicate certain physical problems which are mentioned below.
Grapefruits have a rather recent history, having been discovered in Barbados in the 18th century. Many botanists think the grapefruit was actually the result of a natural cross breeding which occurred between the orange and the pomelo, a citrus fruit that was brought from Indonesia to Barbados in the 17th century.
The resulting fruit was given the name "grapefruit" in 1814 in Jamaica, a name which reflects the way it's arranged when it grows-hanging in clusters just like grapes.
Grapefruit trees were planted in Florida in the early 19th century, although they did not become a viable commercial crop until later that century. Florida is still a major producer of grapefruits, as is California, Arizona and Texas. Other countries that produce grapefruits commercially include Israel, South Africa and Brazil.
Benefits of Grapefruit:
• Drinking grapefruits juice will encourage healthy skin and is normally used in treating acne.
• The juice is also an excellent source of iron.
• Grapefruit essential oil is very popular for massaging.
• If you drink a glass of grapefruit daily in the winter then you get more of vitamin- C.
• It is said that as compared to other fruits grapefruit gives you more fiber.
• The Fiber content in Orange is 7 Grams, Apple 5 Grams, Banana 4 grams, But half of the Grapefruit gives you 6 grams of fiber & 12 in case of full Grapefruit consumed.
• The fiber content that the Grapefruit provides is almost half of the amount what the Nutritionist or health authorities recommend.
• The half of the Grapefruit fiber which is insoluble helps prevents constipation and which may reduce the risk of colon cancer and half is soluble which helps lower cholesterol levels.
• It should be noted that majority of the fiber content is present in the walls of the fruit. So, if you remove the walls of the fruit you are not at a loss, but you will still get 2 grams of fiber from the inner pulp.
• It was also discovered that the grape fruit juice boosted the average absorption of a blood pressure medication three times faster.
• Grapefruit is a rich source of Vitamin C.
• It is a good liver tonic, which reduces liver pain.
• Grapefruit can help in weight loss, since it is low in sodium, high in fat burning enzymes.
• Low sodium intake can help flush out excess water that is caused by high sodium food.
• Grapefruit has high water content, and increased water consumption can help increase metabolism.
• Grapefruit is rich in lycopene (the red color/pigment), it helps to prevent the occurrence of tumor and cancer.
• It also helps in cases of Gallstones.
• Grapefruit also helps patients facing problems of Cold, Pneumonia, Fever.
• It is a powerful drug-poison eliminator.
• Grapefruit is said to be helping in proper digestion of food.
• It is majorly counted for improving the complexion of the body.
• If the Grapefruit is used for larger extent the content of the fruit is also said to help in clotting of the blood, & it also acts as a natural antiseptic for wounds.
• Fresh grapefruit contains organic salicylic acid, which aids in dissolving such inorganic calcium in the body.
• For those who would like to reduce their weight, grapefruit is good because it reduces appetite.
• Grapefruits will balance the nervous systems, relieves flu and will help the respiratory system.
• Grapefruits could help in treating osteoarthritis i.e. also called as degeneration of joints. This disease is majorly found in old age people or women’s above the age of 45.
• The other benefit of grapefruit is the seeds. It is believed that the seeds can get rid the body of worms.
• If you are not taking your medicines with grapefruit juice then don’t start without consulting it with your physician, because that can interfere with the effective dosage that you are taking at this moment.
• This Fruit is also certified by "The American Heart Association (AHA) for Florida’s Grapefruit its benefits after the regular consumption of fruit gives to any heart patient.
• The best part of this juice is that it is low in fat, saturated fat & cholesterol, so they are the food which is included in lower or balanced eating plan which can help lower the risk of heart disease.
• In the Florida area it is also known as the great fruit or happy fruit because it indirectly helps in keeping your heart happy.
• Grapefruit is such a fruit which, kind of nutritional power that we can find only in the way God makes our natural food.
• The other nutritional benefit of this fruit is that it contains citric acid, natural sugars, essential oils like limonene, pinene and citral.
• It also has vitamin content like; it has high amounts of vitamin C, and smaller amounts of vitamin A, B complex, E and K.
• The mineral department of this fruit also contains a larger amount of calcium, folic acid, phosphorous & Potassium.
• It also contains a large amount of liminoids, flavonoids, lycopene and glucarates which helps the patient to fight cancer.
• It is also said that the peel of the grapefruit also contains a high amount of bioflavonoids which is a anti- cancer agent by itself.
Other Direct Treatment:
• Its juice is also said to treat Acidity because it has Alkaline reaction which takes place after it is consumed & indirectly it erases the host (Acidity) for the other problems.
• Pectin in this fruit has been found to be effective in reducing the accumulation of arterial deposits, and the vitamin C helps to strengthen and maintain the elasticity of arteries.
• The bioflavonoid compound found in the fruit is also said to be stopping the cancer cells from spreading in breast cancer patients, by ridding the body of excess estrogen.
• A cold in our body is indicating that we have overworked & now we need to take some rest. A regular drink of grapefruit during a stressful period gives your immune system the boost needed to prevent it coming on.
• A certain compound found in grapefruit helps reduce the excessive production of cholesterol from the liver.
• A diabetic can safely eat a grapefruit. In fact, more consumption of this fruit will help reduce the starches and sweets in the system. If you have a tendency towards diabetes, consume more grapefruit juice to prevent it.
• This juice helps to promote digestion by increasing the flow of gastric juices. Eat the fruit together with its albedo and pith for their extra fiber that aids bowel movements.
•At the end of a long and tiring day, drink a glass of grapefruit juice with lemon juice in equal parts with a little honey, to dispel all fatigue and tiredness.
• Besides drinking plenty of fluids, also drink grapefruit juice to reduce fever.
• A drink of grapefruit juice before bedtime, helps to promote sleep and alleviates insomnia.
• The bioflavonoids and vitamin C help to reduce water retention and swelling of the legs during pregnancy.
• The anti-cancer agents in grapefruit (especially in the albedo) are particularly protective against these cancers in the digestive system.
• This fruit has a fat-burning enzyme and can help to absorb and reduce the starch and sugar in the body.
• The presence of grapefruits may halt the metabolism of these drugs, leaving the drugs in your body thus creating the risk of toxic poisoning. Doctors may tell you that grapefruit is the cause of the toxicity, but in fact, it is really the drugs that are causing the toxicity.
• Excessive consumption of any citrus juices can leach calcium from the body system, causing decay of the bones and teeth.
• No one that has had a kidney stone wants to have another one. Drinking between a half liter and one whole liter of grapefruit juice, apple juice, or orange juice daily will increase your urinary pH value citric acid excretion. This helps to significantly lower your risk of calcium oxalate stones forming.
• Grapefruit is excellent at jump starting your metabolism, particularly when eaten within 2 hours of waking up. The high water content in grapefruit in combination with certain enzymes and acids in it get your internal organs working. Eating within 2 hours of waking gets your digestive system kicked into high gear from the early morning and stops your body from going into starvation mode. Combine these and you’ve got one metabolic booster of a breakfast.
• Grapefruit also helps protect against deadly lung cancer. Drinking just three 6 ounce glasses of grapefruit juice a day has been shown to help reduce the activities of enzymes that can activate the cancer-triggering chemicals that are found in cigarette and cigar smoke.
• In a recent study, people that added red grapefruit to their normal diet showed total cholesterol lowered by 15%, LDL cholesterol by 20%, and triglycerides by 17%. This study lasted just 30 days. Blonde grapefruit was also proven to be very beneficial.
Nutritive Values: Per 100 gm.:
•Vitamin A : Trace
•Vitamin B : Thiamine .04 mg.;
•Riboflavin : .02 mg.;
•Niacin : 2 mg.
•Vitamin c; 40 mg.
•Calcium: 22 mg.
•Iron: .2 mg.
This is how you have come to know the best possible benefits of this fruit along with its exact features & how to use one. I wish you will truly take the natural benefits that are provided to us by the god in the form of fruit without any side effect if concumed in proper proportion.
About the Author: Rohit Gala Is Passionate about helping people to finally see them happy & that is why he has joined this counseling course to know people & solve their problems faster. He also likes playing games like Shot- put, javelin throw & Chess.