I, Bhavani Raman, welcome you to my article on "benefits of cranberry juice."
A dark pink sweet smelling tasty liquid; you may think it is one of those artificial so-called fruit juices, but it is something manifold better than that, because it is CRANBERRY JUICE.
Cranberries, a "miracle berry", is native of North America, member of Ericaceae family, are grown as shrubs separately or on vines. The fruits are bright red in color and have a rich tart, but have a bitter taste as a fruit.
Cranberries are also a very good source of vitamins. They are rich in Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B complex, vitamin K, Folic Acid and Fiber. In addition, they are also a source of minerals such as Calcium, Iron, Phosphorous, Potassium, Sodium, manganese, and Sulphur. Moreover, cranberries contains zero cholesterol and less fat content (unsweetened ones), which makes it a very low fat, healthy drink, for all ages.
Cranberries also contain plant pigments called bioflavanoids, which help to repair damaged molecules which are formed when the body uses up oxygen. They also contain natural antibiotic ingredients as well as hippuric acid, which has antibacterial effects.
Cranberry juice was first made by American settlers in 1683. Cranberry makes some of the finest juices of all fruits. It has got an interesting sweet taste to it and it is good for the body.
A glass or two cranberry juice a day is a positive step toward a health lifestyle.
In the following pages, we will see some benefits of cranberry juice.
1. 100% pure cranberry juice can sometimes be bitter or tart. So sweeteners or added or sometimes mixed with apple juice or any fruit juices of choice to give a better taste.
2. Cranberry juice is a source of vitamin C and dietary fiber. It also contains manganese, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, vitamin A and beta-carotene.
3. Cranberry juice contains high levels of organic acids, which have an emulsifying effect upon fat deposits.
4. Dieting on cranberry juice help lost weight. It detoxifies our body. It has been proved that going on cranberry juice for 2 or 3 days without any solid intake, do wonders to the body, by giving rest to some of the digestive enzymes. Juice fasting cleanses the urinary tract and help us to loose weight, but it is better if it is done under the supervision of a dietitian.
5. One of the foremost benefit of cranberry juice is it acts like a diuretic and it is effective against urinary tract infection. As women are more prone to urinary tract infections, we can say it is partial to women.
6. Hippuric acid in cranberries acidifies the urine and prevents bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder and washes out the bacteria through urine.
7. Drinking one glass of cranberry juice daily reduces the risk of infections and prevents cystitis.
8. Research has shown that quinic acid which is abundantly found in cranberries, may help to prevent the development of kidney stones.
9. Cranberry juice also destroys H.pylori bacteria which cause stomach ulcers and cancer.
10. It helps to inhibit certain strains of the Haemophilus influenza, which is a common cause of ear and respiratory infections in children.
11. This juice is the best detoxifying agent. Cranberry juice and cranberry pills are very much useful for getting the body rid of harmful organisms which obstruct the natural cleansing mechanism of the body and rejuvenates the body. So this fights against pimple, acne, skin boils, bad breath etc. So here also we can say it favors women, as they are more beauty conscious right?
12. Cranberry juice protects against heart diseases. Polyphenolic compounds and flavenoids found in cranberry juice bring down the level of LDL(bad) cholesterol and increases the level of HDL(good) cholesterol, there by lowering the risk of heart diseases.
13. According to a new research, drinking cranberry juice can lower blood pressure. A compound by name oligomeric procyanidins found in cranberries can boost the health of blood vessels, thereby helping to prevent blood vessel constriction, which is a leading cause of high blood pressure.
14. A compound by name proanthocyanidin found in cranberries makes the virus harder to penetrate the cells and thus fights against herpes.
15. This juice also protects against Macular Degeneration- a disease that affects the sharp central vision as they age.
16. The calcium content in cranberry juice inhibits the growth of bacteria causing dental plaque and periodontal diseases and cavities, thus preventing tooth decay and gum diseases. Also it reduces the risk of getting osteoporosis because of the high calcium content.
17. Preliminary research has suggested that drinking cranberry juice may also be beneficial for prevention of peptic ulcers.
18. The anti-adhesion and anti bacterial quality of cranberries fights against a type of bacteria that is responsible for ear or mouth infection.
19. Consuming cranberry juice is found to fight against breast cancer (which again is a boon to women) and even some other cancers because of his anti-cancerous property.
20. Regular consumption of cranberry juice prevents the rapid growth of tumors.
21. Fresh cranberry juice is effective at fighting against infections. It cures sore throats and colds.
22. Cranberry juice is found to fight against Alzheimer's and Parkinson diseases.
23. It also reduces the requirement of oral antibiotics and a prevents a kind of rash, called jock itch, caused by a fungal infection.
They are even available in tablet forms.
So from the above points, it is no wonder if we say cranberry juice as 'feminine and female oriented."
Even though it tastes bitter, for medicinal purposes, it is better to consume cranberry juice unsweetened for maximum health benefit. It is a refreshing drink. So its recommended to drink it with mixing it with water (2:8) to reduce some of its tartness for any health related issues.
Dieting on cranberry juice is a nice change of pace from eating too much junk food and beneficial for those who want to shed their extra kilos.
Excessive consumption of sweetened cranberry juice can lead to obesity due to the high sugar content level within it. This can further give rise to unwanted health problems like bad dental cavities and gastrointestinal imbalances.
So let us enjoy the richness and benefits of cranberry juice by not overdoing it.
About the author: Bhavani Raman, a successful ex-student of Enoma, is working as a family and Juvenile counsellor. She was also working as a medical transcriptionist and is also a pursuing a diploma on food and nutrition. She enjoys reading books, meditation, meeting people, spending time with her family and friends and also a Reiki practitioner.