Francis Beaumont English dramatist of the Renaissance theatre said “Nose, Nose, Nose Nose! And who have thee that jolly red nose? Cinnamon and Ginger, Nutmegs and Cloves, And that, gave me my jolly red nose”.
Cinnamon has some very special qualities. Remember the saying “Sugar and Spice all things nice” Cinnamon is not only a spice but also medicine in itself!
I am Mrs.V.Manimozhi welcoming you to read this article on the BENEFITS OF CINNAMON POWDER.
Cinnamon is the dried bark of an evergreen busy tree that grows in India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Brazil, Vietnam, and Egypt. It is used in a wide variety of foods, beverages, pharmaceuticals, liquors, cosmetics, perfumery and toiletries. A major ingredient of Garam masala (mixture of different spices). Cinnamon oil is an international favourite in beverages and perfumery, while Cinnamon oleoresin (Oleoresins are the flavour extracts obtained by the solvent extraction of the ground spices)is a popular flavour for processed food.
Benefits of Cinnamon powder:
Cinnamon does not only taste good, it also contains many health benefits...
1. Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast gives relief in arthritis pain.
2. Cinnamon powder when added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.
3 One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.
4. One teaspoon of cinnamon powder mixed with five teaspoons of honey applied directly onto the aching tooth 2 or 3 times relieves pain.
5. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium. The fiber helps to remove bile, which prevents damage to colon cells, thus prevents colon cancer.
6. Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder included in a daily diet can lower cholesterol and it also significantly lowers LDL "bad" cholesterol, and triglycerides (fatty acids in the blood) and total cholesterol.
7. Cinnamon powder reduces blood sugar levels and treats Type 2 Diabetes.
8. Several studies have shown improved insulin sensitivity and blood glucose control by taking as little as ˝ teaspoon of cinnamon per day. Improving insulin resistance can help in weight control as well as decreasing the risk for heart disease.
9.Cinnamon strengthens the cardiovascular system thereby shielding the body from heart related disorders. It is believed that the calcium and fiber present in cinnamon provides protection against heart diseases.
10. Cinnamon powder in the food helps those suffering from coronary artery disease and high blood pressure.
11. Cinnamon reduces the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
12. Cinnamon is very useful home remedy for common or severe colds. A person suffering should take one tablespoon of honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the sinuses.
13. Cinnamon also found to cure flu, influenza, sore throat and congestion.
14. Cinnamon boosts the activity of the brain and hence acts as a good brain tonic. It helps in removing nervous tension and memory loss.
15. Cinnamon due to its antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-parasitic and antiseptic properties, it is effective on external as well as internal infections.
16. Cinnamon has been found to be effective in fighting vaginal yeast infections, oral yeast infections, stomach ulcers and head lice.
17. Cinnamon has also been found useful for women's health as it helps in providing relief from menstrual cramping and other feminine discomforts.
18. Cinnamon also helps in natural birth control. Regular consumption of cinnamon after child birth delays menstruation and thus helps in avoiding conception.
19. It is also believed that cinnamon aids in the secretion of breast milk.
20. Cinnamon powder contains anti-inflammatory compounds which can be useful in reducing pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
21. Cinnamon is very effective for indigestion, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, diarrhea and flatulence. It is very helpful in removing gas from the stomach and intestines. It also removes acidity, diarrhea and morning sickness. It is often referred to as a digestive tonic.
22. Cinnamon powder take on a regular basis report a lower incidence of urinary tract infections. Cinnamon is diuretic in nature and helps in secretion and discharge of urine.
23. A compound found in Cinnamon called cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets.
24. Headache due to the exposure to cold wind is readily cured by applying a thin paste of powdered cinnamon mixed in water on the temples & forehead.
25. Cinnamon helps in removing blood impurities. Also external application of paste of cinnamon powder with a few drops of fresh lemon juice over pimples & black heads would give beneficial result.
26. Cinnamon is a blood thinning agent which also acts to increase circulation. This blood circulation helps significantly in removing pain. Good blood circulation also ensures oxygen supply to the body cells leading to higher metabolic activity. You significantly reduce the chance of getting a heart attack by regularly consuming cinnamon.
27. Considerable anecdotal evidence exists to suggest that cinnamon may have the ability to tone and constrict tissues in the body.
28. Those who consume cinnamon on a regular basis often report that their muscle and joint pain, as well as stiffness, is reduced or even eliminated.
29. Cinnamon powder mixed with honey is good for boosting the immune system, removing regular fatigue and increasing the longevity of an individual. It is also known to have anti-aging properties.
30. Powder cinnamon mixed with honey is often used to treat insect bites.
31. Cinnamon helps in stopping bleeding. Therefore it facilitates the healing process.
32. Mix two tablespoons of cinnamon powder with one teaspoon of honey in a glass of luke warm water and drink it. It destroys the germs of the bladder.
33. Those suffering from hair loss or baldness, may apply a paste made from one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, one table spoon of honey and hot olive before bath and keep it for 15 min. and then wash the hair.
34. Women who cannot conceive may take a pinch of cinnamon powder in half teaspoon of honey and apply it on the gums frequently throughout the day, so that it slowly mixes with the saliva and enters the body.
35. Daily use of cinnamon powder and honey strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks.
36. Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food, relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.
37. Take 1spoon of cinnamon powder, 4 spoons of honey and 3 cups of water and boil to make like tea.
Drink 1/4 cup, 3 to 4 times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life span also increases and even if a person is 100 years old, starts performing the chores of a 20 year old.
38. Eczema, ringworm and all types of skin infections are cured by applying cinnamon powder and honey in equal parts on the affected parts.
39. Senior citizens who take cinnamon power and honey in equal parts are more alert and flexible.
40. To stop bad breath gargle your mouth with hot water by mixing some cinnamon powder.
41. Hearing Loss can be restored by taking the mixture of cinnamon powder and honey daily morning and night for few months.
42. Daily use of cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks.
43. To get instant relief from lower back pain and joint pain apply the paste made from cinnamon powder and honey.
44. Cinnamon oil extract is used widely in aromatherapy.
45. Being a very good carminative and blood purifier, cinnamon is used in medicinal preparations for treating painful menses.
46. Cinnamon has been found to be effective in fighting vaginal yeast infections, oral yeast infections, stomach ulcers and head lice.
So we have just read about Nature’s tastiest medicine, Nature’s wonder drug and The Miracle Spice-Cinnamon. CINNAMON is one of the spices treasured for its versatile nature.
Indeed, cinnamon has several health benefits as highlighted above that can be used to improve one's health and boost one's immune system. This is a great reason to keep some cinnamon around. Sprinkle it in your tea or coffee, over oatmeal or a sweet potato and, this will do wonders to your health.
A note of caution: However, there's a word of warning to be taken that over dosage of cinnamon may be unwise. Also it is not recommended for pregnant women.
Biodata: I am Mrs.ManiMozhi teacher by profession. I am good at conducting Quiz competitions, compeering for school functions and Annual days. I love drawing and painting. I am a good cook. I am doing a diploma in counseling at present.