Hi friends, I, Latika Bhojwani after doing hours of research will be introducing you to the world of Blueberries in this article.
Are you eating blueberries? If not then let me assure you, you are definitely going to consider this wonderful fruit really good for you after spending time on reading this article.
Basically the main objective of my research was to find out health benefits of blueberries but apart from that I have also included uses and nutritional profile of blueberries in this article.
Blueberries are flowering shrubs that are native to North America.
Blueberries grow in clusters and range in size from that of a small pea to a marble. They are deep in color, ranging from blue to maroon to purple-black, and feature a white-gray waxy "bloom" that covers the surface serving as a protective coat. The skin surrounds a semi-transparent flesh that encases tiny seeds.
Varieties of Blueberries:
1. Blueberry Brigitta-- This variety is a late season variety producing large, firm, and light blue berries. The shrub of this cultivar is upright and usually grows to a height of about 6 feet. The berry borne by the variety is large, crisp and rich in flavour and texture. Thus they make an excellent option for freezing as well as eating fresh.
2. Blueberry Chandler: This variety of berries is large, firm and has a wonderful flavour. Each berry weighs about 2g. The bush is extremely attractive and grows low to a height of about 150 cms.
3. Blueberry Earliblue: As the name of the berry suggests, it matures early as compared to the other varieties. The berries borne by the tree are large, juicy and have a mild and sweet flavour. The berries grow in medium sized clusters.
4. Blueberry Top Hat: It is an extremely nutritious variety, which also makes for an extremely ornamental plant. The berries produced are extremely plump and and make an ideal ingredient in pies, muffins and jams.
Uses of Blueberries:
1. Blueberries seem to be tastier in their raw form.
2. Frozen berries can be served to the breakfast shake to make it zingier and lip smacking.
3. Dried berries can be added to the dull breakfast cereal to pep it up.
4. Blueberries, when added in yogurt and then frozen makes an excellent low fat dessert. It can be topped with crystallized ginger.
5. Blueberry jams, muffins, pies are the favorite among people of all ages alike. They can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Nutritional profile of Blueberries
Blueberries are rich in --
1. Minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper, iron, manganese and selenium.
2. Vitamin C, A , K , B-6, E and also thiamin, riboflavin and niacin.
3. And other nutrients such as anthocyanins, Pterostilbene, chlorogenic acid, ellagic acid, proanthocyanidins (OPC's), resveratrol, flavonols, and tannins.
Blueberries are not just tasty but they have some really amazing and fantastic health benefits.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BLUEBERRIES
1. Blueberries are considered to be powerhouse of antioxidants that help in preventing cancer-causing cell damage of the body.
2. Eating blueberries helps in preservation of vision. The compound anthocyanoside present in the fruit helps to slow down visual loss. If consumed regularly, these berries improve night time vision and promote quicker adjustment to darkness and faster restoration of visual acuity after exposure to glare.
3. Blueberries keep the urinary tract of the body healthy by stopping bacteria from lining the bladder walls.
4. There is high percentage of Anthocyanins present in blueberries that combats E. Coli.
5. The antioxidant named Pterostilbene in blueberries helps in reduction of cholesterol and stops the blood cots forming in the body.
6. Blueberries also protect the brain from oxidative stress and reduce the effects of Alzheimer's disease or dementia.
7. Blueberries augment learning capability and memory power.
8. Kaempferol present in blueberries reduces the risk of ovarian cancer in females.
9. Consuming blueberries curbs problems related to diarrhea and constipation.
10. Blueberries also contain tannins, which act as astringents in the digestive system and help to reduce inflammation.
11. Blueberries are well-known in Russian folk medicine, where the berries were used to protect against stomach problems.
12. Blueberries contain Vitamin C which are considered to be necessary for the formation of collagen and to maintenance healthy gums and
13. Blueberries aid in the absorption of iron and promote healthy immune system.
14. Manganese present in the blueberries plays a vital role in the development of bones and in the development of metabolism of proteins,
carbohydrates and fat.
15. Consumption of blueberries keeps the mind and body fresh, active, fit, sharp, close to nature and in a good mood, as they are very good anti depressants.
16. Blueberries are beneficial for lessening the effects of neurological sickness.
17. Both diarrhea and constipation can be relieved with the consumption of blueberries.
18. The pigments that give blueberries their color improve the structure of veins and the vascular system.
19. The collagen matrix present in the blueberries keeps the skin away from wrinkling and sagging.
20. Blueberries work as aid in reducing belly fat and body weight.
Blueberries lose their power when they are served with milk. It leads to reduction in the peak plasma concentrations of caffeic and ferulic acids as well as the overall absorption of caffeic acid. Ferulic acid provides rigidity to cell walls and protects the nervous system. It has a normalizing effect on blood pressure. Caffeic acid is also a powerful protector of neurons.
The best way to gain maximum benefits from blueberries is to consume them either one hour before protein is consumed, or two hours after.
Bursting with flavor and sweetness, low in calories, and packed with nutrients and antioxidants, these tiny fruits are anti-aging superstars.
Regardless of how they are eaten, blueberries should be considered as a mainstay of every healthy diet. This amazing berry, many years known for its medicinal properties, continues to prove itself in research laboratories around the world. Seriously blueberries demonstrate a wide spectrum of dramatic, health-enhancing benefits.
So eat them until your tongue turns blue and live a healthy long life…
Author’s Brief Bio- Latika Bhojwani, is a Post Graduate in Management with Major Specialization in Marketing and Minor in Finance, presently working as a Free Lancer in a Shipping Agency, also practicing as a Reiki Healer and Tarot Card Reader. Her favorite pastime activities include Crystal Healing/Readings, Hypnosis, Reading, Travelling, Exploring Gadgets.